Make this delicious meal for your guests, whether you serve it at a home or tailgate party. Make this delicious meal for your guests, whether you serve it at a home or tailgate party.
Speck and Arugula Pizza Serves: 4
Flour, for dusting
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup partly skimmed ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups baby arugula 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced
4 slices Black Kassel Speck, cut in half lengthwise
1 3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cake and pastry flour
2 1/4 teaspoons instant or bread-machine dry yeast (or 1 envelope)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup very warm water
1. To make pizza dough, stir together all-purpose flour, cake flour, yeast and salt in a mixer fitted with a dough hook; make a well in the center. Add water. Mix on medium speed until all flour is incorporated into dough; add remaining flour as needed to have soft, slightly sticky dough. Alternatively, you can mix by hand. Turn out on a well-floured surface. Let rest covered for 10 minutes. Divide into thirds.
2. Place a pizza stone or upside-down baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 450 F. Gently flatten dough into a circle or rectangle on a lightly floured surface, creating a rim. Transfer to a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or another upside-down baking sheet; slide dough onto the hot pizza stone or baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil in a bowl with garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Remove pizza from oven. Brush with olive oil mixture and top with ricotta and mozzarella. Return pizza to oven, baking until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 6 more minutes.
4. Toss arugula and shallot slices in a large bowl with lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Top the pizza with arugula salad, speck and shaved Parmesan cheese.
5. Cut into wedges or squares with scissors; serve immediately.
Tip: As an alternative to speck, you can try Black Kassel Old Forest, Picante or Mustard Seed salami. You can also buy store-made pizza dough and simply layer on the toppings.